Monday, September 10, 2007

Lantana

A lot of people in Florida are not to fond of the Lantana that grows wild everywhere.. I love them.. I have 5 different types this year and love them all.. Well maybe I have a favorite.. Below Dallas Red, is my fav. I like the reds.. The butterflies,hummingbirds and bees, just love the lantana and make an excellent addition to a butterfly garden. Some will come back next year if you mulch it well enough. So I classify it as a tender perennial where I live in zone 7b. Miss Huff shown below is especially hardy and doesn't need any special treatment from me to come back.. They also get huge and bush like.

They are sun lovers and need shearing back during the blooming time, to encourage new blooms.
Confetti is the one above and below, it is a paler lantana, those does well with pastels.. As for my Southern neighbors, you can not call this plant a weed around me.. Those them there are fighting words.



15 comments:

Whyite said...

I also like Lantana. The flowers and the smell all of it. Very nice photos Dirty Fingernails.

KC MO Garden Guy said...

Say it isn't so!! People that don't like Lantana. Isn't that unamerican or somthing!!! I always buy some. They do so well here when it gets hot and dry and the colors are wonderful. All I can say is shame on the Lantana haters!!
Thanks for sharing and great pictures!!!

Gina said...

i like lantana too but i never hear of people growing it here in chicago.

RUTH said...

I love Lantanas though this year the growth hasn't been good. I love the way the flower colours change. In early summer the weather was bad and the light levels were poor. Here too it is a tender perennial.

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

I love this plant so much but haven't seen the gorgeous colors you have here. Thank you so much for sharing! Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage

Melissa said...

My MIL lives in SoCal and she loves the stuff. When my brother worked at a greenhouse as a grower (he quit when his family came as the hours are too long for good family time)...he used to bring me some in the early spring - nice cheery potted plants in the long dark northern winters, uh, I mean springs.

Andrea's Garden said...

I like Lantana and have a really big one. In the winter we have to bring it indoors though. When I went to Greece I saw so many of them and just loved the variety in colors. / Andrea

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

I've tagged you for a fun facts meme. For the guidelines of what to do next, please visit my latest blog entry. Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage

kris said...

I love your lantana - very pretty!

David said...

Lantana is awesome! Great photos!

Bob said...

I love lantana also, It a great plant. Growing up we had a huge area of it in So. Cal. Were else can you get a flower with yellow, orange, hot pink and red in one flower. They always look so festive. KC Mo garden guy is so right, they really can take the heat. Thanks for sharing this wonderful plant.

Bob said...

I forgot to mention, I enjoy your blog so much would love to link to you. I hope this is OK.
All the best, BOB

Chrissie said...

Beautiful, what's not to like! Plants that come up every year, flower, attract bees and butterflies are just the kind I love :-)

LostRoses said...

Growing up in Florida, lantanas were a part of my childhood and I have a special spot for them in my heart. Yours are just lovely. Weeds? I don't think so!

Anonymous said...

These are a pretty flower. I have never heard of them. Thanks for sharing this information and these lovely pictures.
Sara from farmingfriends